Saturday, August 12, 2006

Can't leave well enough alone

Wellllll... Remember how I finished my Cedar Creek socks and I was so happy to be finished? After wearing them a couple of times and looking at them A LOT, I realized I just wasn't thrilled with the way my picot edge had turned out. You see, originally the pattern was written for top down and I wanted to do them toe up. So I had to improvise on the picot edge and I ended up with an edge that flared out a ton. This was also my first try with EZ's sewn cast off and that ended up both too tight (on the first sock) and too loose (on the second)!

So, I ripped it out and redid them because, YES, I am that picky! This time, though, I did plenty of research on the internet and found out how to do them properly. My first mistake was making the cuff too short, so the revised edition has a 6 round cuff before the picot round. On the picot round, I went up a needle size (size 2) from what I had used to knit the leg (size 1). Then, on the private side of the picot edge I went down a needle size (size 0) from what I had used for the leg. I gave up on the sewn cast off that was too difficult for me to tension right. So, I followed the advice from this site and picked up stitches from the beginning round with an extra circular needle and did a 3 needle bind off with the bigger needle (size 2) for a wonderfully stretchy cuff that doesn't curl over! Yea! I love them!

No comments: